Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lost in Translation #245


I ran into a distant acquaintance at the grocery store today. I had heard through the grapevine she had adopted two children from Russia.

"So, how are the kiddies?" I asked.

Her face got sad. "Well, we had to put them down a few months ago. They got some sort of disease."

"Oh my god, I am so sorry to hear that," I wailed as I grabbed her hand.

"Yeah, it was hard, but we are actually getting two more this weekend. There is a place by our house that has a deal that if you adopt one the second is free."

I knew countries had an excess of orphans, but this...??

"Wait," I stammered. "What are you talking about?"

"Our kitties...what are you talking about?"

When it occurred to us, we had a good scream by the frozen pizzas.

"I thought you seemed a little lax about having to put your kids down," I laughed.

But the way she stared off into space at that makes me wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment